When we launched Capsule8 1.0 back in April, we knew were on the right track for solving a huge market problem. We had completed a successful beta with some of the biggest companies from Wall Street and Silicon Valley and one of our first customers had signed on. What we didn’t know was how quickly our momentum would pick up, even within the (less than) one quarter that our product has been on the market. It is that momentum that brings us to today, as Capsule8 is proud to announce two more major milestones – we have secured a Series B round of funding, and have some of the brightest minds in security helping guide us in our newly formed Board of Advisors.
First, the funding. We have secured $15M Series B round, led by ClearSky Security, and also features participation from Bessemer Venture Partners, Rain Capital and other strategic investors who believe in Capsule8. This brings our total funding to $23.5M will be huge in helping us scale Capsule8’s engineering and sales teams as we continue to hone our product and extend our reach into new markets.
Second, we announced our new Board of Advisors. The folks who have signed on to use their own expertise and experience to help Capsule8 as we enter this new phase of growth include people the team has known, worked with, and admired for years. They are big names who have helped big security companies do big things, and we’re lucky to have them on board:
- Jim Bandanza – Bandanza has more than 20 years of experience as an executive at multiple cybersecurity and cloud companies, including Chief Revenue Officer at COO at CounterTack, EVP and COO at Egenera, and Senior VP of Field Operations at RSA, the Security Division of EMC.
- Christopher Bolin – Bolin has been in information security for more than 20 years, having most recently served as Chief Strategy Officer at Absolute. Previously he was CEO/President of two European based companies, Uniblue and Prevx, and also CTO and EVP of Products at McAfee.
- Ben Johnson – Johnson is CTO and co-founder of Obsidian Security. Prior to founding Obsidian, he co-founded Carbon Black and most recently served as the company’s Chief Security Strategist.
- Zane Lackey – Lackey is the Co-Founder and Chief Security Officer at Signal Sciences and the author of Building a Modern Security Program (O’Reilly Media). He serves on multiple Advisory Boards including the National Technology Security Coalition, the Internet Bug Bounty Program, and the US State Department-backed Open Technology Fund. Prior to co-founding Signal Sciences, Zane was at the forefront of the DevOps/Cloud shift as CISO of Etsy.
- Caleb Sima – Sima recently left a senior security role at CapitalOne, where he spearheaded many of their security initiatives. Prior to CapitalOne, Sima founded SPI Dynamics (acquired by HP) and BlueBox Security (acquired by Lookout) and has served as an advisor, investor, and CEO for security companies.
- Gil Zimmermann – Zimmermann leads cloud security go to market, innovation, market expansion strategy and execution for Cisco’s $3B Security business. Before Cisco, Zimmermann was the CEO and co-founder of CloudLock, which he grew into a cybersecurity market leader, resulting in its acquisition by Cisco in 2016.
We have been lucky to have so many big companies raise their hands to work with us, and we are committed to keep their trust.
What does this mean? It means we are doing something right, and we aren’t going to stop now. We are doing something big here at Capsule8 and hope that you’ll continue to follow us (or join us!) for the ride.